Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Berto vs. Ortiz

Andre Berto vs Victor Ortiz tonight in a welterweight title bout. I personally believe Berto will retain his title. Ortiz has a suspect chin (Marcus Maidana fight) and Berto packs a powerful punch and a lethal uppercut. Here are some greatest hits from both fighters..





UPDATE
That was a hell of a fight and both fighters showed the heart of a champion. Victor Ortiz prevailed in the end with a unanimous victory. I was completely shocked by the outcome and I have no qualms about being a huge Berto fan. I witnessed a few suspect wins against inferior competition, and small margin victories against foes he should have trampled in the past. However, I bought in to the hype and thought he was going to be next up to fight Pacquiao or Mayweather. I was wrong and hopefully he can learn from this loss. He has a contract w/ HBO so that guarantees a few more high profile fights. Here's to hoping he get's a rematch with Ortiz.

When it comes to Ortiz I am so shocked by this performance. The fight had 4 knockdowns and he was responsible for 2 of them. The first knockdown was in the 1st round and he didn't let up from the initial bell. He earned his respect back from me after quitting against Maidana. He has heart, and even though I was justified in questioning his testicular fortitude, I assure you I will never do that again. This fight will not win fight of the year, but I do believe round 6 was round of the year.

You are doing yourself a huge disservice if you do not watch the replay of this fight next week on HBO. Look for some more coverage of this fight including post fight interviews on this very post throughout the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment